For the 2014 edition Chianti Star Festival is proud to have three additional outstanding backdrops from where this Festival of Art and Science will be hosted. From 13th June to 20th July 2014, the ancient abbey at Badia a Passignano, the stunning agritourism farm and terracotta furnaces of Fattoria Montecchio and for the prize giving ceremony, the new Antinori Wine Cellar at Bargino, will all play an important role along with the established location in San Donato in Poggio, Palazzo Malaspina.
The inauguration will be held on Friday 13th June at 6.30pm at the Palazzo Malaspina di San Donato in Poggio with a music performance by the Benko Brothers to inaugurate the exhibition opening of a group of international artists who will be showing their latest work including painting, sculpture, photography or digital art.
Saturday 14th June at 5.30pm: the jury chaired by Roberto Casalbuoni, will award three prizes to the award-winning artists during the prize ceremony at the Auditorium of the Cantina Antinori in the Chianti Classico area of Bargino, designed by Marco Casamonti.
Dedicated to the relationship between art and science, the rich programme of events includes exhibitions, installations and performances, and thanks to the collaboration with OpenLab, part of the communications body of the University of Florence, numerous meetings with scientists and researchers who are involved in promoting scientific culture. Some examples of these talks: On Monday 16th June at 9.30pm Professor Luigi Dei will present a performance/lecture "From Schubert to De André: the mysteries of the voice in music"; Tuesday 17th June at 9.30pm Professor Giuseppe Conti will discuss "the secret geometry of Florentine monuments"; Thursday 19th June at 8.30pm, Professor Giovanni Mattii will present "Grapevines throughout history: from the dawn of the cultivation to the modern age" followed by a Lecture "Tango: The partner dance from a medical-scientific viewpoint" by Maria Grazia Giovannini (in English and Italian) at 10 pm, together with a tango session with Giorgio Jr Giorgi and Daniela Conte from the dance company 'LiberandoTango Nuevo'; the architect Massimo Ricci will reveal the secrets of Brunelleschi's Dome on Saturday 21st June at 9.30pm.
The Festival, in addition to being hosted in the prestigious Palazzo Malaspina, will also involve other nearby areas of the Chianti, including the Chianti Observatory; the Fattoria Montecchio that, thanks to its artistic kilns, will present works by artists who have mastered working in terracotta, including Agneta Gynning and Eugenio Riotto; to the Abbey of Badia a Passignano, which in addition to hosting concerts including one with pianist Bruno Canino, will also exhibit an installation by Giovanna Lysy that will be inaugurated Sunday 15th June at 4pm.
Gabriele Rizza, Gianna Bandini and Alessandra Sarri from the Anèmic Association will be presenting a video and photographic competition divided into three sections: 1) Art and Science 2) the Tuscan Landscape and 3) Vine and wine.
The "Stars" of the Festival, in addition to the stars that can be observed from the Chianti Observatory, will also be local gastronomical products starting, of course, with olive oil and wine.
The Jury is composed of
Roberto Casalbuoni, theoretical physicist
Anchise Tempestini, art historian
Satoru Yamada, art critic and journalist
Giada Rodani, contemporary art exhibition curator
Alberto Righini, professor of Astronomy
Gabriele Rizza, journalist, expert of cinema and theatre
Luigi Dei, professor of Chemistry, President of OpenLab
Massimo Ricci, architect, Member of the Central Forum UNESCO
David Baroncelli, Mayor of Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
William Braemer WilliamBraemer.com
Catherine Daubresse CatherineDaubresse.wordpress.com
Emmanuel De Brito
Anna Maria Giraudo
Agneta Gynning AgnetaGynning.com
David Harry davidharryFineArt.com
Evelyne Huet EvelyneHuet.com
Sumio Inoue SumioInoue.com
Alexander Lee AlexanderLee.artspan.com
Charlotte Lisboa CharlotteLisboaFineArt.com
Giovanna Lysy GiovannaLysy.com
Sara Palleria SaraPalleria.com
Santina Panetta santinasemadarpanetta.com
Edward Rilke EdwardRilke.com
Eugenio Riotto EugenioRiotto.com
Kensuke Shimizu www4.ocn.ne.jp/~kensuke
Linda K. & Theodore M. Shinkle shinklefineart.com
Savannah Tate Cuff
Max Werner MaxWernerArt.com
CHIANTI STAR FESTIVAL
San Donato in Poggio and other locations from 13th June to 20th July
Palazzo Malaspina, Via del Giglio 31, San Donato in Poggio (Fi) 50028
Vernissage: Friday 13th June, 6.30pm
Palazzo Malaspina, Via del Giglio 31, San Donato in Poggio (Fi) 50028
Opening times: every day 10.00-12.30 | 4pm-11.30pm (except from 13th July- 18th July: 6.30pm 11.30pm)
Free entrance to all events except the concert with pianist Bruno Canino (15) and some events at the Chianti Observatory.
Please see the full and updated programme at: www.chiantistarfestival.org
It is advised to book the conferences and lectures
For bookings, information on the exhibition and collateral events, please contact
Studio Abba +39 055292082 firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on the Chianti Observatory please contact: +39 3397554145 email@example.com
For information on the local area please contact: Pro Loco di San Donato: 0558072338 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Tavarnelle Chianti da Vivere: email@example.com
Press Office: Studio Ester Di Leo T. +39 055223907 mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Calendar of Events
- Friday 13th June 6.30pm Palazzo Malaspina: Festival Opening Ceremony and Exhibition Vernissage with music by Benko Brothers
at 9pm Badia a Passignano: Piano Concert, pianist Bruno Canino
- Saturday 14th June 5.30pm Prize-giving Ceremony at the Antinori wine cellar Auditorium (Bargino)
- Sunday 15th June 4pm Badia a Passignano: guided visit to the medieval abbey (booking required); inauguration of the installation "Radici" by Giovanna Lysy
- Monday 16th June 5pm Fattoria Montecchio: guided visit at the agritourism farm and terracotta kilns.
at 9.30pm Palazzo Malaspina: Lecture "From Schubert to De André: mysteries of the voice in music" by Prof. Luigi Dei
- Tuesday 17th June 9.30pm Palazzo Malaspina: Lecture "the secret geometry of Florentine monuments" by Prof. Giuseppe Conti
- Wednesday 18th June 9.30pm Chianti Observatory: Conversation about space "StarTea" by Emanuele Pace (in English and Italian)
- Thursday 19th June 8.30pm Palazzo Malaspina: Lecture "The History of the Grapevine" by Prof. Giovanni Mattii (in English and Italian)
at 10pm Palazzo Malaspina: Lecture "Tango: The partner dance from a medical-scientific viewpoint" by Maria Grazia Giovannini (in English and Italian), tango session with Giorgio Jr Giorgi and Daniela Conte from the dance company 'LiberandoTango Nuevo'
- Friday 20th June 9.30pm Palazzo Malaspina: Lecture " Travelling in the Cosmos" by Emanuele Pace (in English and Italian)
- Saturday 21st June 6.30pm San Donato in Poggio: Itinerant concert directed by Hans Kristian Edvardsen with the Norwegian Band, Brønnøysund Musikkorps.
at 6.30pm at the Chianti Observatory: Exhibition vernissage "Galileo in Accademia"
at 9.30pm at the Fattoria Montecchio: Lecture given by architect, Prof. Massimo Ricci "The construction of Brunelleschi's Dome"
- Sunday 22nd June from 6.30pm at the Badia a Passignano: Lecture, classic music concert and star-gazing to celebrate the 450th Anniversary of the birth of Galileo Galilei
- Wednesday 25th June 9.30pm Chianti Observatory: A Conversation about space "StarTea"
- Thursday 26th June 9.30pm San Donato: Performance "Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars" a recital of the Divine Comedy cantos with harp accompaniment
- Friday 27th June 9.30pm Philharmonic Society Cinema: "Bruscello", a typical Tuscan show
- Saturday 28th June from 4pm San Donato: "Bruscello"
- Sunday 29th June all day San Donato: Local craft Fair and historical parade
at 5.30pm; 9.30pm; 10.30pm Chianti Observatory: Open day Visits
at 6.00pm "Bruscello", a typical Tuscan show
- Wednesday 2nd July 9.30pm Chianti Observatory: Conversation about space "StarTea"
- Thursday 3rd July 8.30pm Chianti Observatory: "CineScience"
at 9.30pm at the Philharmonic Society Cinema: "Bruscello", a typical Tuscan show
- Saturday 5th July 10pm San Donato: "Quartagramma Vocal Project", vocal quartet concert
- Sunday 6th July from 9am San Donato: Local craft and local products Fair
at 5.30pm Chianti Observatory: Open Day visits
at 9.30pm and at midnight: at the Philharmonic Society Cinema: "Bruscello", a typical Tuscan show
- Wednesday 9th July 9.30pm Chianti Observatory: Conversation about space "StarTea"
- Thursday 10th July 8.30pm Chianti Observatory: "CineScience"
- Friday 11th July 9.30pm San Donato, Fondazione Cianti Orselli, "Incanto notturno" Opera aria in concert
- Saturday 12th July 9.00pm Chianti Observatory: Lecture "Conversation with Nature" by Isabella Devetta
- Sunday 13th July 6.30pm Palazzo Malaspina: Concert 'Chianti in Musica UECA'
at 5.30pm; 7.30pm; 10.30pm Chianti Observatory: Open Day visits
9.30pm Palazzo Malaspina: Lecture "From Giotto to Pontormo. A restorer's journey through masterpieces" by restorer Daniele Rossi
- Monday 14th July 6.30pm Palazzo Malaspina: Concert 'Chianti in Musica UECA'
- Tuesday 15th July 9.30pm Chianti Observatory: Concert 'Chianti in Musica UECA'
- Wednesday 16th July 9pm Palazzo Malaspina: Concert 'Chianti in Musica UECA'
at 9.30pm Chianti Observatory: A Conversation about space "StarTea"
- Thursday 17th July 6.30pm Palazzo Malaspina: Concert 'Chianti in Musica UECA'
at 8.30pm Chianti Observatory: "CineScience"
9.30pm Palazzo Malaspina: Lecture "From Italy to the Antartica: a journey to a natural laboratory at the disposal of humanity" by Luca Palchetti and connection to the Concordia base on the Antartica
- Friday 18th July 6.30pm Palazzo Malaspina: Concert 'Chianti in Musica UECA'
at 9.30pm Chianti Observatory: 'Pills of Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet'
- Saturday 19th July 6.30pm Palazzo Malaspina: Concert 'Chianti in Musica UECA'
- Sunday 20th July 6.30pm San Donato: Concerto Tino Andersen (classical guitar)
at 5.30pm; 9.30pm; 10.30pm Chianti Observatory: Open Day visits
Studio Abba StudioAbba.com
Giada Rodani email@example.com
OpenLab OpenLab.unifi.it - Area Comunicazione dell'Università di Firenze
Comune di Tavarnelle Val di Pesa tavarnellevp.it
Associazione Culturale Pro Loco San Donato sandonatoinpoggio.it
Osservatorio Polifunzionale del Chianti osservatoriodelchianti.it